Search This Blog

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Things That Highly Creative People Do

Where do we get our inspiration? How do learn to think creatively? (or can we?) A colleague shared an interesting article with me months ago. Being a musician, and hopefully a creative problem-solver, I thought I'd comment on it.

For myself, creativity isn't limited to what I think we often attach to the fine arts. "She's a very creative artist." "His songwriting is so creative." These are simple examples, but creative thinking is similar to design thinking, in that we seek a need or identify a problem and attempt to deal with it effectively. It involves a great deal of patience, reflection, and revision. (like the fine arts) Creative thinking also happens in Math classes, Science classes, etc. I'm not reading Dana Boyd's "It's Complicated", and she quotes Ezster Hargittai who suggests teenagers are more likely to be "digital naives" rather than "digital Natives". The idea may also imply that creative thinking and problem solving amoung youths isn't happening to the degree that adults may think.

So what is it that creative thinkers do? Here is a summary, which in the article (I think) is intended to reflect more of an arts approach, but I'd like to think there are broader applications. (ie) "I've got to figure out how to use this application" or "This is a tough problem, so what formula will work?"
  • Daydream - apparently similar brain processes to imagination / creativity
  • Observe / people watch
  • See possibility in a wide range of situations
  • Work their own hours - ever been to a Google office? (I'd also suggest that they work at their own pace - tough to do in time-restrained schools and workplaces)
  • Take time to be alone
  • Try new things
  • Turn hardship into opportunity
  • Persevere - failing is learning (my favourite Japanese proverb is 七転び八起き- Fall down seven times, stand up eight; I even wrote a song with this as the title)
  • Take risks
  • Seek opportunities for self-expression
  • Follow their passions, not someone else's
  • They focus



No comments:

Post a Comment