Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Looking Under the Hood: Tim's Bajarin's Argument for Coding in School Curriculum

I just read a great article, written very cogently, on why coding should be a required part of the school curriculum. Tim Bajarin takes us decades back, reminding me of the old IBM computers I didn't learn to use until I was a university student, to those typing classes we had in high school. A clear point is that we use that same keyboard on all of our devices.

Bajarin takes it a step further, however, noting that learning some basic code will help us get more out of our devices we use today. "Looking under the hood" will help us make our smart phones and iPads the powerful computers they are designed to be. (admittedly, I've only started to sync my Google calendars with my phone, and started receiving reminders - when I get back to school next year I won't be forgetting important deadlines, which embarrassingly happens once or twice a year)

There's something more important in his commentary. Understanding basic code helps develop logical thinking. I'll add, critical thinking and trouble shooting skills. (or confidence to "try" new things without fear that the device will explode) Moreover, as Bajarin says, coding helps us understand how software is developed - important knowledge for the workplace of today and the future. He points to the work of Codeacademy in developing an greater appreciation for coding in schools. (check out their free programs) He quotes author Hank Pellissier, saying it's time we "begin treating computer code the way we do the alphabet or arithmetic." (read the article on greatschools.org) The rising demand for skilled tech workers will not fade, but grow, and with more people crawling out of poverty worldwide, I would argue the demand for technically skilled workers will grow in incredible numbers.

I'll add one more comment related to code. We need the use of technology to be integrated in schools. This isn't to say that a device should be used for every task, or even should be used more as children grow older. Pen and paper, cardboard projects, and everything else has a place in learning. But coding and understanding how devices / technology play a role in our lives is critical. (I'm hoping eventually to my school offer an IB class called Information Technology for a Global Society - ITGS)

Essentially, I'm saying every grade level and program needs to also offer some kind of technology integration, giving students more tools for their toolkit. (sorry for the overused cliche, but it's a good one)

No comments:

Post a Comment